Friday, September 9, 2011

Remembering Where You Were 9/11

Be courageous! With the movie shortly coming out and the song on the radio, this phrase has be in the forefront of my mind often. The news has flashed picture after picture, recalling that days horrible events. The destruction, the rubble, the chaos. THE COURAGE. I was blessed by a friend to remember how many searched for survivors in that rubble. He blessed me this week so much by letting Jody and I meet his Emergency Certified Dog who would respond to events like 9/11 and other disasters. He recalled stories of a search and rescue team who responded at the Pentagon and how the emotion surrounding that day is just NEVER captured or done justice in any picture. I am so encouraged by his example to pursue courage and excellence. I pray for him often that NO OTHER EVENT of that magnitude will arise so that he will not have to respond. This week the news reminded us of the courage that the men and women showed on United flight 93. LET'S ROLL!  In that moment, they knew that that was it. They knew they would never survive and they would die to thwart the plans. But succeed they did. And oh how they did. What a legacy their families are so proud of!
Of course we all mourn the losses again and the wounds are reopened as we approach Sunday. We look back and remember where we were that day, what we were doing, how we felt, how we reacted, and instantly gained perspective on what was truly important in this life. For me, I was looking back over a biology test in Dr. Reinhart's class. He casually walked in and said, "Oh my gosh. A plane hit the tower." and turned on the news to a truly horrific scene. We were all left stunned staring at the screen of smoke on our soil. He left the TV on and said, "well when you're done with your test I guess you can go back to your dorm. We won't have class after this. I'm sure that some of you want to call your families."
Finish the test!??! Are you serious? Well for me (thank goodness) I was done and only looking back over it. I would have probably just turned it in otherwise. I quickly laid my test down but felt sorry for others that were not done and had to try to refocus their thoughts to finish. I walked back to Owen to the lobby where a group had already begun to gather. Girls scared for dads due to work environments, praying for victims and families, and tears. Fear and uncertainty. That night Wayland had a great prayer service in Harral. What power to gather with a room full of believers and bombard the devil. To throw firey prayer darts back in a way only God himself knows the power of. To collectively ponce, pray up, and prepare for the following days ahead. Realizing sadly, we would never grow up in the world we had once known. No one would.
The time any event happens we remember. We look back forcing ourselves to remember those and honor their lives. Remembering the horror of that day and stirring the old emotions that surround 9/11, I remember several things distinctly.  Of course there is a melting pot of fear and all its cousins. But as I go through the list, they too begin to fade. I remember the sadness knowing that I am now--10 yrs later-- raising 2 kids in times when I have a horrific event to recall, like some recall JFK or the OK bombing.  You know where you were and can recall exactly how you felt. I am proud to look back on that day and recall I was blessed enough to be at WAYLAND and among Godly people. I am blessed that though fear penetrated deep that day, courage rose. Even in the midst of the rubble, a cross stood (thanks Greg for posting that pic!).  The victory of Jesus was remembered and people cried out to the LORD.
We were reminded of 2 Chronicles 7:14,
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
That night and the days after we did something powerful with that and simply PRAYED.  Do not forget the power behind prayers. I never thought from that day until now that I would have so many blessings to count 10 years later. Never thought that the world would function as it has. God is truly awesome. Remember HIM this 9/11. He is the giver of LIFE and gives us our daily bread. His spirit pours like the fountain where the buildings once stood. Continuously!

You are so good to me. You heal my broken heart. You are my Father in heaven. You are beautiful my sweet sweet song. You are beautiful my sweet sweet song, I will sing again. I will sing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment