Thursday, September 15, 2011

No Flavor? No Problem!

The Low-Iodine Diet
No soy, no dairy, no egg yolks, no breads (with conditioner so home-made is the key!), no butter-tried to find vegan without luck and miss this the most), no food with salt listed in the ingredients, no Red dye #3, no chocolate. Meats must be fresh because most meats are cured--yes salt my friends, so vegan grown/feed and no salt on the list---so far Walmart carries a Harvestland brand that works. Beef, pork, chicken if you can find them fresh.
So far I have baked my own bread & rolls to have toast (without butter, sadness but oh how thankful I am for JELLY!), roasted my own salted batch & a cinammon/sugar almond batch, found some yummy grapefruit candy (you can have dye free gum drops!), made Ratatouille from scratch, orzo pasta, my own homemade tomato sauce from scratch, Balsamic vinegar turkey stir-fry, lemon-herb turkey and veggies, fresh smoothies, apple/cantalope bake for dessert, chewy oatmeal cookies, and found coconut milk okay so I can still enjoy fresh BREWED-not instant- coffee! Thank you thyroid cancer association for the Thy CA cookbook (download online for free) because those recipes have been lifesavers!! The scene in my kitchen this week has been hilarious with the organic, pioneer spread where I start everything from scratch and present a mini feast every night. It reminds me of an all time favorite movie line (6 days, 7 nights), "Aren't you one of those guys? You know. The kind that can take a swiss army knife and a toothpick and they build you a shopping mall."  Yes I have taken basics and feel that I have whipped food masterpieces this week. I really have enjoyed trying new things.
It has been an adventure in reading labels and getting dirty looks for reading those labels. It took me 1 hour in Walmart to read labels on meats, pastas-no egg yolks!, and find the other various things that I can have. Iodine you are lurking everywhere and I had NO idea! You make me miss my dairy more than you will ever know but thank you, thank you for not being in fresh fruits and veggies! Lastly thank you for staying far away from sugar. Without a little sugar sprinkle, this week would have been traumatic. :)  The trip to Walmart was so a bonus for Reece to add spunk and rare back only to split her head open on your shelf. Added trip to the ER later plus 1 staple to boot and my trip would have just been normal. I run from normal. In fact I am allergic to it! Allergic to it because through all this healthy eating I am either having withdrawl from something OR I am allergic to something  because my neck and arms are covered with a lovely rash. Thank you for never ever letting me forget the song "This is the Stuff" this week! I love a good laugh and that is all I have had this week! It has been so nuts from the shopping, diet, and in betweens that I have just stopped to throw my head back and laugh out loud. Life is just flat funny sometimes----or rather MOST of the time! Have a wonderful day and may God Bless you through your "stuff" that drives you crazy because He is in all that too!

1 comment: