Sunday, December 22, 2019

The Older I Get

Hello adulthood. I have arrived. But yes its truly overrated. I’m just a big kid who just wants to have fun. (Cue playlist…) So this is what it feels like. To be old enough to know that with each passing year, it’s truly just a GIFT to be together. To unplug. To be. To Breathe their childhood in because it is quickly slipping away. Christmas season is by FAR my favorite! I was married this time of year. I had an aunt with 3 stories FULL of Christmas décor you could roll in all year. There’s just nothing better than the red, green, and white to come together to make things bright. 
Maybe this year was a little sweeter getting to see NYC. That city is so special and the trees, the parks, the lights, the ice, the skates, the sounds of the streets, Saks display, and the Tree of all trees. It’s so sweet to spend some time there and if you’ve never been, it deserves to be at the TOP of your list if Christmas is a favorite like mine. My husband may love this season more than me, but I’ll compete on that the rest of my life. It’s time to go back to that sweet place someday, but for now we will live in what’s bigger in Texas. 
This year A-town has been particularly sweet and spicy for all the holiday cheer. From Winter light fest, to Denton Valley Farms, to the Zoo, there are Plenty of hometown activities to get to. We love zipping down the road to Gaylord to see ICE! It’s a fun displaying of artistic craftmanship like none other. Artist travel the globe from China to create this display every year. This year it’s the Peanuts and a Charlie Brown Christmas! Last year was Rudolph and I have to say, my favorite until they do FROZEN! Childhood rushes back watching the rickety movements of old animation tell a story we’ve all seen over and over. Ice skating is always a favorite and we just don’t get to do that often enough. A-town needs a rink! I guess you could say I left it all on the Ice without falling. I’m reminded of muscles that needed toning and working. Skating really makes you access parts of patterns that should be part of regular exercise! Good stuff. Good sore! 
As we relaxed tonight, popped popcorn, gorged ourselves from the land of whirly-swirly gumdrops and sugar galore, I knew our decision to stay in Texas was right. In Reece’s words and tears, “I just want to be home and do ALL of our traditions.”  (Yes child, NYC can totally wait! Thank goodness you had NO idea….so let’s keep it that way!) That’s my girl. Sentimental and golden. Our traditions. My goodness. That brought it home. The older I get, I don’t need anything under the tree. I don’t need junk that collects dust and gets tossed into a pile. There’s nothing more that I want than to be with these sweet people and concentrate on family this season. They are growing up.  I’m thankful they love our traditions, however small they are. They are ours. And at Christmas that reminds us to tell the greatest story of all. The birth of Jesus. The coming of the King. The baby wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manager. 
May you find your heart full this season as we celebrate the birth of the King! 











No comments:

Post a Comment